Friday, April 23, 2010

Shoes

Ok - I have to admit that I LOVE shoes!!! Heels, flats, platforms, sandles, boots, flip flops, sneakers ..... whatever the shoe, if it is cute and matches something in my woredrobe I love it!!! They don't even have to be super comfortable - if they go with the outfit they are in!!!!!! ....... So - my car-free "practicing" is definiately a work in progress. I had a meeting last night about 2.5 miles from my home. My outfit wasn't bike appropriate, so I decided to walk. I did change out of my heels and put on flats - a pair of baby blue, patent leather slides (totally cute - totally made the outfit) .... They were flats and quite comfy, so I thought everything would be fine. I didn't really want to put on a pair of socks and tennis shoes like every power woman in the 80s. And, I wasn't power walking - I was merely "strolling" to my meeting.

Well ... the results were not as pleasant as I thought. By the time I got to my destination I had a huge blister on the ball of both feet. OUCH!!!!! Good thing I was sitting during most of the meeting - but I had to walk home. AND, the walk home was mostly uphill. What to do? I did refuse a ride from my sister (which felt a bit like cheating). I did get some bandaids from the restaurant -- and headed home. I guess the universe was looking out for me - as while I was walking M (my mom's husband) called and wanted to know if I was free to join them for a beer at a place three blocks from my house. Yes - of course I did ..... and then he offered to come and get me, as my voice must have given my pain away. The ride and the subsequent beer did help the pain - for that night.

So - now what?!!? Today has been a bit painful --- and I am nervous about my triathlon training tomorrow (the bike will be fine, but the run afterward might prove to be interesting). I know the pain will wear off - eventually - but what lessons have I learned? Well - I have not given up my passion for shoes - so then what? Do I carry the cute shoes with me? Do I buy better, cute walking shoes ---- do they even exist? Do I take my bike more places? Do I just stay home forever and tele-commute into every meeting?

No answers right now - but I am more determined than ever to continue to stay looking fashion-foward (or at least fashion-right) while also being car-free.

2 comments: