Monday, May 3, 2010

The Journey Continues

Well .... the past week or so has provided many lessons, a few gifts and still a few more questions. What to start with first ...

One thing that I learned is that my car-ed (my new word for friends with cars ... and funny that it actually spells cared!!!) friends and family really don't mind giving me a ride home - or picking me up. I am struggling with the balance of accepting their offers - and not relying on them. I need to make sure that I not relying on the offers, but also accepting the gifts when offered. I am thinking that will be a work in progress for awhile.

I also learned that walking places puts me in touch with my environment and other people in new and unique ways. I have talked to people on my walks that I would never have had the opportunity to if I were in a car. This is sometimes extremely interesting - and sometimes a bit, um, weird! And, walking has also given me the time to meditate. Again, weird, since I thought meditating meant sitting in a dark room (maybe with candles) waiting for the buzzer to go off!!! ;)

I have received many gifts in the past week - the best was meeting with a college classmate who has NEVER owned a car. She gave me so many great tips - and connected me with some great resources and websites (which I will post on my blog soon). It was so reassuring meeting with her - and I continue to be inspired by her!!!

I still have so many questions .... like, how do I keep my mascara from running down my face when sweating, or riding the rain? How will I go to dinner parties in the suburbs? Can I really wear a pair of platform sandles on my bike?

The biggest one right now - is what I kind of bike do I need? I have my road/tri bike, Lucy, who I LOVE!!!! But what kind of bike do I want for commuting? One where I am sitting upright with a cute basket up front? A speedy road bike? Or something in between? That is the question of the week -- and I plan to spend the week at bike shops researching.

More later ..... but perhaps if I post more often they won't be SO long!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment