Thursday, July 8, 2010

No sense of direction ....

Ok -  I have always known this about myself - that I have no sense of direction.  However - sometimes I choose not to believe this and think that I can can navigate somewhere based on my intuition.  Well ...  I really can't.  Yesterday when biking to class (the first time from my new house) I thought I could navigate through the fairgrounds and hop on the U of M transit way.  Easy enough ....  I mean, I am a Minnesotan and I have been to the MN State Fair countless number of times.  My first mistake was my failure to remember that when I am at the fair I never know exactly where I am.  So - blissfully ignorant, I set off.  I did make it to the fairgrounds (I only had to make two turns .... that part was easy.)  Once in the fairgrounds I headed sort of in the right direction.  I could see the St. Paul campus and tried to make my way over there.  I did succeed in making it on to campus --- up and down the hills of the campus --- but no transit way.  The second mistake that I made was not remembering that I am not always very observant.  (Note that when I was young I walked right past a new bike sitting in the kitchen while going to get my breakfast!!!)  So - after biking around for awhile, I decided to head over to Como Ave ---  I knew where that was to catch the transit way there.  As I headed down the hill ----  guess what I saw?  The Transit Way!!! :)  I had biked by it not once, but twice ......  But, whew ...  finally I was on my way.

The bummer was that I had started sweating - a lot - given my trips up and down the hills.  I wasn't that worried about being sweaty --- but I was concerned when my facial lotion started running in my eyes.  I spent a few minutes not being able to see--- eyes all squinty, tears running down my face and hoping that I wasn't getting all frothy!!! (I did think about once when my mom and I did a road race and her facial lotion made her face all white and frothy when she started to sweat.)  However, I did survive that part.  The transit way is actually a lovely ride - with a nice false flat running a bit downhill all of the way to campus ---  so I was able to make up a bit of time.  I did pondered the fact when I saw a gopher - the victim of what I supposed was an inter-campus bus - why we would kill one of our own!!! ;)

So - I hope that I am a bit more successful heading to class today.  I have a test ---- and I don't want to be late!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. How was LTF???? Did you have to bike to the startline?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great!!! :) I thought about biking .... but I did get a ride ... which I thought was perfectly acceptble - especially because for that race you have to get there so dang early. But - it was a PERFECT day for a swim, bike and run!!

    ReplyDelete