Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Finding my center ...

There have been so many changes in my life this summer ... selling my house, moving, going back to grad school full-time, preparing for the M+Ms to leave MN ... oh .... and that little thing like giving up my car!!!!  All of these changes has made it really difficult for me to get into a regular schedule.  I am still getting use to a new neighborhood, different class times depending on the day, bus schedules and routes, not knowing which mode of transportation is going to be ideal based on the weather and how to plan for the unexpected without a car ......

Given all of this, I have to admit that I am missing my meditation time on my bike.  Now - you might think that meditating on a bike perhaps is not the best idea ....  given if I closed my eyes and started saying "Ommmm" and carrying a candle on the bike might be dangerous!  However, my sister once taught me that meditating can be active.  Walking for me is the best way to meditate (or so I thought) .....  I can take time to notice my surroundings, clear my mind and center myself.  I have learned, though, that biking allows me the same thing.  It allows me the chance to think, clear my mind, focus on my body and my surroundings ..... all things that center me.  I didn't realize how important that is for me until these past 10 days when I have not biked as much.  There are all kinds of reasons why ....  the extreme heat yesterday, not wanting to put a bike helmet on after getting a haircut last week (I didn't want to mess up a GREAT blowout!!!) and perhaps being a bit lazy and hopping on the bus.  I have also been berating myself for not taking up a formal meditation practice .....  one which I have started and quit countless times over the past few years.  ......  But wait ....  I HAD started a meditation practice ....  I was doing it every time I walked or biked somewhere.  And .... these past 10 days that is what has been missing from my life.    Duh ....  perhaps that is why I have been feeling "off" .....  I have deprived myself of my mediatation time ....

So ....  here is to getting back on the bike and finding my center ....

2 comments:

  1. I think I have said that more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you have said that at least twice .... ;) Thanks for being such a great sister!!!

    ReplyDelete