Saturday, July 17, 2010

What Have I Learned Thus Far?

I have been a bit remiss in posting lately --- which does not mean that I have not been continually learning --- just that I have not actually taken the time to sit down and write.  I have been asked by Transit for Livable Communities (TLC) to write a follow up to the interview Amber did with me about my decision to give up my car.  She wanted to know how I was doing --- and what I had learned so far ....  Hmmmmm ....  what have a I learned so far?  Here is a list - in no particular order:

  1. Riding in the rain is very possible - but be careful when going around corners at great rates of speed and make sure that you have the right gear --- or else it is very much like biking in the shower!!!  And, make sure that your bag is also waterproof --- or the "dry clothes" you bring along to change into will not be very dry!
  2. I need to get panniers for my bike, as I really hate carrying things on my back.  It gets heavy - and makes me even more sweaty.
  3. How to successfully lock up my bike anywhere --- and that there are some places with fantastic bike racks --- and some places that finding something to lock my bike to is a challenge.
  4. The most direct bike route is not necessarily the best bike route.
  5. Sometimes the sidewalk does end.
  6. Taking the bus is a viable, lovely option when it is raining or WAY too hot outside to do anything but stand in the shade.
  7. It is ok to get up and move to a new seat on the bus if you determine that the people sitting directly in front of you have not showered/bathed for more than 3 days .....  and it is ok to turn down the drink in the brown paper bag from said couple, even if it is after 12pm.
  8. Accepting offers from friends to pick you up or drop you off somewhere is wonderful!  I never expect it, but it is nice to have such a great support system.
  9. It is possible to bike in high heels and a skirt!  I bike in a skirt often --- and I do tend to wear flats or bike shoes when biking and take along the high heels ----  but I have biked in high heels and it works perfectly fine.
  10. Even cute bike helmets look silly .... but they are IMPORTANT, so I do wear mine.
  11. Arriving to a casual date on my bike is perfectly acceptable.
  12. Arriving to a more "fancy" date by bus is perfectly acceptable (and if it hadn't been SUPER hot I could have arrived on my bike).
  13. Having a date drop me off somewhere near my house after a first date is also perfectly acceptable!
  14. Reminding myself that I am the one that chose to be car-free --- therefore, I cannot get cranky when a meeting goes a bit longer than expected just because I know that I have an hour bike ride home in the rain.
  15. There are lots of people who live without cars --- and not always by choice --- and we need to continue to do a better job of making our communities accessible to everyone!
  16. Not having a car is more and more do-able every day and feels very freeing .... well, sometimes it feels very freeing ....  sometimes it feel very hard ....  but the freeing feelings vastly outweigh the hard feelings.
What else do I need/want to learn/experience?

  1. How to put my bike on the front of a bus.  I know it is suppose to be easy - and I did practice at the Living Green Expo -- but it seems really different there than when I am standing in front of a running bus with people inside waiting for me.  And, what if my bike is the first one on, and someone puts their bike in front of mine.  Will I be able to lift my bike up and over? ...
  2. How to get places other than St. Paul and Minneapolis on the bus.  I know I can look at the schedule --- just haven't done it yet.
  3. How to successfully separate my bike commute from my workout.  Bike commuting certainly made me stronger on the bike leg of a recent triathlon ....  but I have not been as consistent in getting out for long rides on Lucy (my road bike).  Sophia (my commuting bike) gets to spend much more time with me!
  4. How to not think twice about an invitation --- even if it is in an inconvenient place.  I have not turned down invitations, yet ----  but I have seriously considered it.  I just need to immediately jump online and figure out the best way to get there.
  5. I don't need to learn this --- but there is some bike gear that I would still like to get:  back rack, panniers, cute, small, stylish backpack (mostly for when I walk places .....) and better rain gear.
  6. And ....  I am certain that there are other things that I have not experienced that I will in future.  (I am not even thinking about winter yet ....)

No comments:

Post a Comment