Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Memories -- Old and New

In the process of making new memories today while riding the bus --- some wonderful memories of living in San Francisco came back and made me smile ....

The weather was a bit iffy this morning, so I decided that it was time for me to take the bus.  I had looked last night about what bus/buses to take and was all ready.  However, when I got up this morning, I am glad I was up a bit early --- since the buses I was going to take were either running 15 minutes behind (too late to get to class) or there was a schedule change - or I had looked at it incorrectly.  Whatever the case --- I was up in plenty of time to walk to the bus stop.  (First lesson - make sure that I am early to the bus stop, because the bus was 2 minutes early .....  not at all like San Francisco!!!)  The best thing is that the guy at the bus stop gave me a warm good morning ..... when does that ever happen while driving a car?

I got on the bus --- paid my $2.50 (I really need to get a bus pass!!!) and sat down.  I didn't get too comfortable --- as I didn't want to miss where I needed to get off to get my connection.  Once I made my connection (for which I only had to wait about 2 minutes) I was able to sit back an enjoy the ride.  It immediately brought me back to commuting in San Francisco - the cool, damp weather also helped to bring me back. 

It was odd, because when I was in SF it didn't seem like I was doing such a big thing ......  just doing what everyone else was doing.  Everyone road the bus to work --- as experienced by me being the last stop from the Russian Hill area on an express bus to the Financial District.  Often that bus was too full to stop ---- and when it did stop I would be left standing (sometimes in the stairwell) holding on for dear life!!! :)  ..... that was always compounded by the fact that at 5'1" it was hard to reach the overhead railing .... and hanging on to something was imperative when going up and down the SF hills!!!!

Today was a totally different story.  I was sitting down --- only having to share the other seat for less than 5 minutes.  I also noticed that people brought their coffee on the bus --- something that was taboo (as I recall) in SF.  The one thing that was great - as it was in SF ---- that I had time time to truly notice the neighborhoods we were going through.  I can't read on the bus --- so all I have is time to watch and notice.  It was amazing the places I passed and thought, "Oh - that is where THAT is ....".  I remember in SF memorizing the neighborhoods and feeling so safe and knowledgeable about the city ---  much more than here ---- and I grew up in St. Paul.  Hmmmmm ...... perhaps it was all of the walking/biking/busing I did in SF.  .....  And now I am so excited to continue to explore/learn about the Twin Cities in the same way.

I also learned --- or it was reinforced --- that some bus routes are going to be more favorable than others.  On the way home from class today there were a few less professionally dressed individuals --- or perhaps they were just professionally dressed for some alternative profession!!! ;)  But - just as in other aspects of life --- there are places I would walk alone at night ---- and there are places I wouldn't walk alone even in the day. 

As I was on the bus going home ... I also remembered that in SF I would go shopping and take the bus home.  Why, oh why, did I think that was ok ---- but I couldn't imagine doing that here?  Why don't I think that taking the bus is as cool here?  Is it because in SF the buses ran down all of the trendy neighborhood streets?  Is it because it was riding the bus in SF was completely socially acceptable?  That at night on the bus you would see everything from hot 20-somethings ready for a night on the town  - to a couple on a first (or what looked to be a) date - to people in black-tie going to the opera?  .....  And during the day completely chic women with thousands (or at least a thousand) dollars on newly purchased shoes and clothing --- to families going to enjoy the sites --- to individuals coming home from the grocery store on the bus.  What would that be like if everyone in the twin cities started taking the bus?  How awesome would that be?  And why was I so nervous about it?  .....  Maybe all of the current bus riders are actually uber-trendy!!!

I have to say that it was actually quite liberating to ride the bus.  I now know that despite the weather --- I really can get most places easily --- and independently --- without a car.

Oh --- and don't think that I am giving up my bike .....  but it is AWESOME to know that there are options!! :)

5 comments:

  1. I will go to NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF and use their public transportation without batting an eye but the bus here scares the crap out of me! Why is that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep .... me too!!! What will it take for all of us to regularly ride the bus here? Perhaps there needs to be a "Bus Night Out" .... where we all where our hot dresses and heels .... and ride the bus to our hot destinations? Just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bus costs' $5 in Norway...

    And, you're maybe just in the wrong neighborhood, because all the things you said about the buses ARE true in my neighborhood. I bet there are suburban locations in SF where people would never think to or would be afraid to ride the bus. (Groceries, hot dates, expensive clothes and heels, families, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a bus night out is a fun idea - wonder what it would take to do that in Mpls/St. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janne - perhaps I am in the wrong neighborhood!!! :) .... Hmmm .... will just have to make a more concerted effort to making all neighborhoods the "right" neighborhood. And, Erin, the "bus" wheels are spinning in my head about having a Bus Night Out. Perhaps there is already something like that here and I just don't know about it! :)

    ReplyDelete