Saturday, June 26, 2010

Still new at this!

Ok - I know that I said in a earlier post that I wouldn't complain about the weather --- and there isn't bad weather, just bad clothing choices ....  but I do have to say that I am really tired of the rain/storms when I am trying to get somewhere ..... 

I did have a great bright spot in my day today when I attended a volunteer meeting with Transit for Livable Communities.  It was interesting to hear every one's stories --- and to know that I am not alone in navigating the world without a car.  I was, however, seemingly a novice within the group.  It made me feel on one hand that there are plenty of resources out there --- if I search them out ---- but it also made me hyper-aware that getting started using public transit, biking or walking is still a scary venture and there don't seem to be a lot of great resources on how to get started.  I completely understand that very few people are actually going to give up their cars - but it would be great if once a week or once a month more individuals would think about and then actually take an alternative form of transportation.  But --- I think that there needs to be more information from a newbie perspective.  Or, perhaps I am the only one who feels a bit lost in all of this.....

The question for the weekend is how to get to and from a 30th birthday party (not mine!!) tomorrow night.  I feel confident taking the bus there --- as it is near Lake and Lyndale and should be a straightforward bus ride.  I am just a bit nervous about the ride home ....  not sure I want to be on the bus after 10pm at night.  I wouldn't walk alone along that same path in the dark --- but is busing different?  I know that I can always take a taxi - but I don't want to have that expense every time I go out at night.  I will probably be able to get a ride home from someone .... but I don't like having to depend on others to go out of their way for me.  So ....  that is the dilemma.  Perhaps it is not such a dilemma --- but it feels like one now. 

6 comments:

  1. Ok, my friends, I did not experience night bussing. A cousin and his wife called to offer me a ride (both ways) and I did take them up on this. I have decided - while I want to be completely independent .... it is really hard to pass up a good offer!!! So ... until next tie - the night commute will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't necessarily have to be about being independent. You should always let people support you, especially when they offer. Plus - car pooling isn't a bad thing anyway whether you have a car or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy - that is so true. I know that I certainly rely on my friends and family for support in other areas of life - so why not this? And, yes, carpooling is always a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to remember that you do not live in a vacuum, nor do you live on a deserted island. There is always grace in finding balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I mentioned this before, but I've decided I'm willing to accept rides when picking me up or dropping me off is on the way, but because I don't want to be dependent (and I like to be independent), if it's out of the way I find my own transport.

    As for busing at night -- the driver is also a security guard of sorts. Part of their job is to make busing safe. I'd consider where I'll be waiting for the bus and whether I want t stand there on my own at night (LynLake totally safe at all times), and where I'll get off and be walking, but ON the bus is never reason to pause. I might sit closer to the driver than usual, though.

    ReplyDelete