Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Silver of Hope and Safety

Last night when I went to bed I was convinced that I was going to take the bus to class today.  It was suppose to be stormy --- and now that I am a bus "expert"  --- it was a no-brainer.  I thought my plans was reinforced in the middle of the night when I woke up to the thunder and lightening (what an awesome storm!).  However, when I got up this morning the sun was shining ---- and I almost went for a run.  I didn't, thinking I would go after class .... dumb, Rachel!!!!  You should ALWAYS work out in the morning --- the commute doesn't count as a workout when training for a triathlon.  (Ok --- enough self-lecture!!!) .....  So - the sun was shining and I went about some morning tasks and a bit of studying for my first test tomorrow.  I didn't seem to notice that the sky was getting dark and very ominous looking. 

Eeeeekkkkk .....  by the time I was ready to go it looked very much like rain, but I was too late for the bus, so I headed out.  I started out wondering how far I could get before I was completely drenched.  But - then I saw sliver of bright, blue sky directly overhead --- and I decided to follow it.  I just kept pedaling and watching that sliver (and it really was JUST a sliver) of blue sky surrounded by super, dark rain clouds.  So, I kept pedaling and watching, peddling and watching and more pedaling.  And - before I knew it I was there, locking up my bike and walking inside.  Whew ..... just as class started it started pouring outside.  Oh well, I wasn't too worried about biking home in the rain --- or perhaps it was my day to overcome my fear of putting my bike on the bus rack.  But ....  much to my surprise just as class was over, so was the rain and I followed that same sliver of blue sky the whole way home!!! :)

The other thing that I have been thinking about lately are the biking habits of students at the U of Minnesota.  I am sure that it is similar to other campuses --- but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to where they bike:  sidewalks, the wrong way on a one way, against traffic .....  It all seems to dangerous.  Now, deep down inside (ok not that deep inside)  I tend to be a rule follower.  When I got my first road bike almost 10 years ago to start seriously (or semi-seriously) biking I had to re-learn biking rules.  And .... I am still following them .....  I just am surprised that more people don't get hit at the U ---- and I feel like I am the only one following the "rules". 

So -- here's hoping to larger slivers of blue sky and safety for all of my fellow students!

No comments:

Post a Comment