Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Walking and MPR

So -  I have not been on either bike in a few days ...  going through a bit of withdrawal ... but I have been walking and walking and walking..... to the gym, the grocery store .... and to a meeting last night downtown St.Paul. I decided to walk last night to the meeting namely because it was raining and I thought I would stay a bit more dry.  I did, underneath a great umbrella (thanks, mom!!!), stay relatively dry.  The only two issues I had was (1) I don't know how to walk in flip flops without spraying myself up the back of my calves; and (2) the humidity in the air makes my hair a bit crazy!!! .... Think (and I am going to date myself a bit) of Monica from Friends in the episode where her hair got just "bit" frizzy .....  not quite that bad, but almost!!! ;)  If anyone has any suggestions about the art of walking in flip flops or great hair products - let me know.

I do like walking - as it does give me a bit more time to think.  It is more like a walking meditation. I do have to admit that I was offered a ride --- but (1) my 20-year HS reunion is this summer and any extra exercise I can do is important!;)  and (2) it really is nice to be a bigger part of the community where I live.  Had I been on my bike (or in my car) I would not have had the opportunity to tell the new HS grads I saw downtown, "Congratulations!!" Or - smile at the family enjoying Rice Park (it was sunny on my walk home.).  And, even in the rain - with crazy hair -- I was still thrilled not to be sitting in my car in traffic!!!:)

On another note --- I was interviewed by MPR on Monday about going car free as part of Bike Walk Week.  Here is a link to the interview.  http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/06/09/biking-to-work/.  Where are you going to walk or bike this week?

5 comments:

  1. I rode to work today and it immediately turned cloudy and rainy on my arrival....I'm telling myself I have a rain coat, my ride is only 7 mies and I'm not going to melt but it's just 9am and I'm already dreading my ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't dread it. You are right - you won't melt --- and everyone will think you are such astud for riding in the rain!!!:) Plus - such a great excuse for a celebratory beer when you get home!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it never ceases to amaze me how waling places really brings us so much closer to the people/places/nature around us!

    Also - flip-flops do just that (flip up the rain and dirt and flop on the ground). I might suggest going shoeless in the rain. It would be goo to toughen up your feet a little first - but there is not much of a bare-foot season in MN - so enjoy it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm .... so that is why they call them flip flops? Ok --- shoeless is an option .... or other types of sandals .... although I do love my flip flops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to walking and thinking! In college I especially liked the pace of walking for thinking, visiting with friends along my path, tuning out etc. I vividly remember trying biking around campus and it was just too fast, leaving me without precious time to wander on foot and in mind. Then I moved to Tucson, Arizona and wanted to bike to get around more...and I have been mostly on a bike ever since.

    ReplyDelete