Sunday, May 9, 2010

Biking in a Skirt

Well ... new experience for me today!! :) As I was getting ready for church this morning - and then lunch with my mom for Mother's Day - I decided not to dress for the bike, but dress for the day .... despite the fact that I would be riding my bike to church and over to my mom's. As the weather was a bit chilly I opted for a long black skirt, black turtleneck and a jean jacket. The shoes of choice were flat --- but I did decide to wear my biking shoes and put the shoes in my bag. And .... I was off!!! :)

What did it feel like to be biking in a skirt? Well, not as cool as I thought. I did feel empowered - and certainly got quite a few looks and a couple of nice waves. However, for some reason I didn't feel quite as cool as all of the pics I have seen of the well-dressed European women. So - what was the difference? First -- I was riding my old mountain bike. Not super cool looking and I actually can't stand over the frame (remember the 24" inseam?!!!). So, when I came to a stop at a traffic light I felt a bit like a 10-year old boy in a skirt .... not sure why that reference .... but you know how 10-year old boys look like when they come to a skidding stop on their bikes? .... with the bike practically parallel to the ground? Now picture a 38-year old woman in a skirt in the same position. It just didn't feel very chic.

Second - I was wearing my bike shoes. I really like the efficiency in pedaling with clipless pedals. However - I didn't like what the outfit looked like. Perhaps I need to give up a bit of the efficiency when it isn't about a workout - or getting somewhere quickly. I will try that next time.

The other thing is the helmet. No cool, chic-looking woman in a skirt is waering a helmet. Bummer .... I can't imagine not wearing one ..... but the thought did cross my mind today. And, the other problem about the helmet is the hair situation. It doesn't do much for a carefully coiffed head of hair. ..... Which again brings me back to the dating thing. God certainly didn't care if I had helmet hair when I was at church ....... but I do - and will my date?!!!? And, even though being car-free is a lifestyle, I am not sure that I am willing to cut my hair ....

So - what did I learn today? That I really need to buy a new bike - one that I can stand over - sooner rather than later. That I can wear whatever I want on a bike and there seems to be suppport out there for chicks wearing skirts on a bike! ;) AND, that I need to learn how to bike slower so that I don't get all sweaty. For some reason that is hard for me .... I can walk slower --- but biking slow seems difficult. But, I REALLY need to learn this skill as to be perfectly honest I can sweat just standing still. Not particularly attractive ......

And - I do want to thank my friends and family for all of the AWESOME presents for my birthday. They were mostly bike related .... so now I have a relfective vest, head and tail lights, money toward my new bike and an great backpack!!!! :) Each day is a step forward toward the freedom I will have when I actually go car free!!!

2 comments:

  1. If you're going to bike in a skirt, you should totally check this out.
    www.birdindustries.etsy.com
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome is right!!! :) It might solve my problem of needing my hands on to brake - but also to hold my skirt down!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete