Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Today's Lessons

It was not as hot as I thought it was going to be in Fargo today --- so perfect day to bike to work!!! :) The first lesson that I learned it that the most direct route is not always the best route. I had read that in Chris Balish's book: How to Live Well without Owning a Car. I just didn't believe him .... well, I suppose I believed him as it made perfect sense, but, ok, I didn't believe him. Perhaps that is because I didn't want to believe him --- and only because I am TERRIBLE with directions and the way with the least amount of turns seems like it should be the best. However - I do stand corrected and will now find the way when bike commuting with wider lanes, slower and less traffic or perhaps scoping out a bike path. I don't think that I was ever in danger .... but the ride could have been a bit more relaxing and enjoyable.

The second lesson is that not every city is as bike friendly as St. Paul. Ok, again, I suppose I already knew this --- but it was confirmed when more than 3 times today I was told to get on the sidewalk. Now, I do really believe that Fargo is a friendly town .... but it certainly did not feel very bike friendly.

The third lesson - ok, confirmation -- is that bike commuting is super fun, easy and a great way to learn more about a city. I am so glad that I am on this journey and continue to be amazed at all of the support there is for finding alternate ways of transporation.

2 comments:

  1. I biked commuted in yesterday....on my fancy road bike with race wheels cause I can't get my pedals off to put them on my old road bike and flatted. I got sagged home. But that counts as carpooling I guess! Need to get the commuter bike up and running. After commuting 2x it KILLS me to pay for parking downtown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer about the flat .... but awesome on commuting!!! And - completely understand about paying for parking!!! The one thing that I had to learn was that I could actually bike without clipless pedals and bike shoes. It does feel a little weird -- but it still works. So - that is an option for your old road bike.

    ReplyDelete