Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Squeeky Wheel!!

Sophia has a squeeky rear wheel- and I just can't figure it out. Something is rubbing against the tire .... but what? And here lies one of my big fears about owning a bike - although I suppose that I had the same fears about owning a car .... which is: I am NOT mechanically inclined, and I honestly don't have any desire to change that. However, what do I need to know how to do? It seems silly to take it back to the bike shop for a little squeek -- but I feel even sillier with the squeek - as it is sort of loud!! So - what are the things that I need to know how to do? I have changed a flat before and I am certain that I will be able to change one again. But - what else? I suppose I should do a bit of research on what are the absolute basics of bike repair/maintenance that I need to know.

On another note --- I couldn't find the bike helmet that I want in my size at REI. It turns out that I have a very medium sized head - hopefully that says nothing about what's inside!! ;) So - still searching for the perfect helmet to complete my chic look.

I am also searching for the perfect bag to take on social events. If I am biking - I would like something big enough to hold a pair of platform sandles -- but that doesn't look "industrial" like the backpack I have for more utilitarian trips. Not as easy as I thought ....

3 comments:

  1. Check your rear brakes; they're probably rubbing. With a bit of force, you should be able to rotate the brake assembly to the side and stop the pad from rubbing. If they are just too tight, then have Erik's adjust them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have tried that -- but maybe I need to try again. The wheel does seem to be moving freely .... but the squeek is still there. Uggg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then you could always try and get into this class (there's a waitlist at this point though):
    http://www.rei.com/event/228/session/6756/08312010

    ReplyDelete