Monday, May 31, 2010

What I have learned .....

Here is a list of things that I have learned this weekend:

  1.  I can't control the weather. (I suppose I already knew that ... but it was confirmed --- so I need to stop commenting on the heat and just search for better solutions!!)
  2. Even cute bike helmets look dorky - especially when trying to impress someone new.
  3. Carrying anything on my back makes me even more sweaty - so I am now looking for interesting bags to put on my bike. Perhaps a cute basket with flowers? Or this awesome bag/purse made by two women in Chicago (http://www.pocampo.com/)? What I really need is to get a back rack installed pronto!
  4. I sweat - a lot! Ok, I already knew that as well, since I sweat drying/curling/straightening my hair even with the A/C on in the summer. What I have decided is to call it sweat when I am working out --- but call it my "personal glow" when I am commuting - or socializing.
  5. Going for a bike ride with someone new is a great way to get to know each other. Even if I was nervous about my biking speed/ability/personal glow/hair/etc --- it can be super fun!
  6. Not everyone is going to embrace my life choices - but it is an interesting barometer for me when meeting new people.
  7. Guys on bikes are cool!! :)

And - now for some questions:

  1. How do I balance working out (training for an upcoming triathlon) with commuting?
  2. What are the basics I need to know about bike maintenance?
  3. What type of material/clothing is going to be best for commuting?
  4. How do I get rid of the flip flop tan line?!!? Ok - not really worried about that .... but it does send some sort of message that I am developing a clear tan line from my flip flops .... and it does look sort of odd when wearing a pair of heels! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm back in town and have a rack for you - we should organize a hand-off.

    Maintenance - cleaning a bike, changing a flat, minor gear and brake adjustments... maybe nothing else. Freewheel (and some other shops) have basic bike maintenance classes that I hear are worthwhile, but I've never taken them.

    I'm happy to read that you're still enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I do know how to change a tire -- but I probably need to do a better job keeping my chain clean!

    ReplyDelete