Saturday, May 22, 2010

Today is the Day!!!!! :)

Well - it is official .... I am no longer part of the car-owning society. It feels odd - yet freeing at the same time. I no longer have to think about getting an oil change -- or wondering what the weird light is that just popped on .... or running out of gas. I am not sure if I mentioned this before - but I absolutely believe that getting gas is perhaps the most asinine task ever!!!!

It was an odd feeling as I went to the car dealership (my mom followed me to give me a ride home) to return my car. All of these new cars sitting around, and that new car smell --- something that in the past might have been exciting ---- but I actually felt a sense of calm knowing that this is the path I am suppose to be on right now.

I do have to admit - as I have already done --- that I am not completely without a car at the moment. I have a nice Prius sitting outside my house .... a rental to get me to North Dakota next week. So - it isn't if the real journey has started ..... but I am no longer paying anything to do with a car.

Speaking of that --- I need to call my insurance agent to ask what type of insurance I need to carry once my policy expires this summer. I have done some research - but I do think that I need something if I am renting a car .... hmmm .....

But --- I decided that it is time for celebration. I NO LONGER OWN A CAR!!!! :) Putting all of the fears behind me for the moment ... I think that it might be time to celebrate with a nice glass of wine!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, Congrats you did it! Regarding insurance... since getting rid of our last operating car, we got a non-owner's auto insurance policy. This seemed like the best route when we consulted our insurance agent. It is really valuable when you are renting cars and borrowing friend's cars. Here is a good basic description on this: http://ezinearticles.com/?Auto-Insurance---Why-Non-Car-Owners-Also-Need-It&id=649453
    As usual, it really pays to shop around for such a policy. In fact I should probably shop around more to see if we can do better.
    You are free!

    ReplyDelete