Friday, May 14, 2010

Does Kate Spade make bike helmets?

Ok .... I am officially in love with Sohpia!!! Now, nothing will replace Lucy -- but I do love Sophia!!! :)

Finally, a day without rain in St. Paul --- and what a beautiful day it was. I had planned to meet a friend for Happy Hour and I was so excited to take Sophia for her inaugural ride. So - of course as I was getting ready the first question was what was I going to wear? I decided on a short, flowly, black dress with a cropped jean jacket and flip flops .... super cute - but comfortable. The next question was --- what sort of bag/purse/satchel/etc was I going to bring. I chose a small, orange, purse with a cross-over strap. (Good thing that I had just read that this was one of the "have-to-haves" of the spring!!!) It had just enough room for my keys, cash card, ID, lip gloss and perhaps a small camera .... the essentials!!

After getting ready -- and almost prepared to head out the door I realized that I could not find the keys to my bike lock. Ugggg .... but only a minor set back. The friend, J, that I was going to meet suggested two bike shops along the way where I could buy a new one (which in retrospect, is much better than the one I currently owned). So - headed first to buy a bike lock (a large U-lock) and then out for Happy Hour.

As I started biking, the only thing that I could think was how awesome Sohpia is (riding, shifting, braking ....) and how chic I felt, except for my helmet. And I thought, I wonder if Kate Spade makes a bike helmet. There certainly must be something different than what I had on. I also thought - perhaps I should be wearing full-coverage (but sexy) undies --- as I did the Marilyn Monroe quite a few times trying to hold my skirt down. (Ok --- two IMPORTANT things --- first - make sure that your skirt is actually tucked underneath you when you ride and two, I think that a slimmer skirt would work a bit better --- meaning not be so apt to blow in the wind!!)

I also need to rethink the bag choice. When I got to happy hour J had things to give me --- and at the moment I had no way to get them home. I am planning on getting a back rack - and she has panniers for me --- but how can I wear the cutest bag -- but also have the appropriate storage space for presents? I mean, I LOVE presents - especially those that are unexpected!!! :)

I do have to tell you that I felt COMPLETELY empowered --- I LOVE bike commuting --- especially in this weather!! I do have to remember to bike slower - as I did get a bit sweaty. Which begs two other questions -- perhaps I should grow out my bangs - as they look silly when they get wet. And, two, I need another deodorant option. I really like Thom's of Maine --- but it is not going to cut it ---- and I DO NOT want to smell "all-natural " ... (Hopefully that is not TMI!!)

The last thought - is that I did see someone at Longfellow Grill tonight with THE cutest bike helmet .... so even if Kate Spade doesn't make them .... someone does!!!

2 comments:

  1. Did you find out about the Kate Spade helmets? I'm curious to hear about your search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope .... she does not make them .... but I did see that she makes a bike basket!! :) Still in search for the perfect helmet. I will let you know when I find something!! :)

    ReplyDelete