Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Looking for a Bike

I have to admit that I was really nervous about going to look for a bike by myself. I don't really know anything about bikes - the terminology baffles me - I can never remember what frame size I need - and I am certainly not mechanically inclined!!! I have been very intimidated in the past in bike shops where I have been treated poorly - and almost scoffed at when trying to make a purchase. (And - the customers are sometimes worse than the employees. Don't get me started on the time I was buying my first road bike and another customer looked my bike up and down and told me that his wheels cost more than my entire set up!!!! Why, why would he even have to say anything?) Needless to say - I was a bit aprehensive to start looking for what will be my primary mode of transportation.

I went to three stores today - and walked in with a air of confidence (even if I was just pretending!!!) and asked the first person who said hello for help. I told them that I was giving up my car (I got plenty of high fives for that!!!) and I needed a commuter bike. My list of needs were: a step-through (mainly because of my 24" inseam), something I can comfortably ride for at least 20 miles, something I would feel comfortable wearing bike clothes or a skirt and something that looks cool - but not too cool to park at the UofM. The questions were - do I want something completely upright and comfortable or something a bit lighter and built a bit more for speed? Do I need chain guard? Do I need internal gears (ok - not even sure that is what they are called. I just learned about them from a friend the other day ....)?

So - after my speech each shop was able to show me a couple of bikes. The prices ranged from $450 - $950. The biggest surprise to me - each shop showed me different bikes. I thought I was going to be able to price shop .... but that was clearly not the case today. After taking numerous test rides and asking lots of questions - I think that I have it narrowed down to the Specialized Vienna, Breezer Villager and a Bianchi that I can't remember the name.

I am having a tough time separating the bike from the experience in the shop. One of the bikes jumps out as a clear front runner, but is it because I felt ultra-comfortable in the shop? Is that a reason to buy or not buy a bike? Or do I go with a shop that I know is committed to creating complete streets? I want to ensure that I feel comfortable when I bring the bike back in for tune-ups and support .... but I also am cautious (not just when I buy bikes) to shop in places that represent my values.

And my last thought ..... I am DONE with the wind!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan of shops that are conveniently located and welcoming for tune-ups and future visits. What is their adjustment policy? (i.e. will they do some stuff for free on any bike bought from their shop forever?) I also find I won't bike much out of my way to get my bike to a shop -- and that it's a hassle to leave my vehicle there for a tune-up, so if they'll give me a loaner to get home, score!

    ReplyDelete