Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Choices

We all make choices about how we are going to get from point A to point B. For most of my adult life it hasn't been a conscious choice about how I would get to work. Hopping in the car was not just the obvious choice -- it seemed like the only choice. (Except for the time living in San Francisco --- when I began to understand the beauty of public transportation.) But - for my life here in MN grabbing my car keys while running out the door seemed like a no-brainer.

Well .... this morning I had a choice to make ... and just so you know, I did not make the right one. I had to be downtown St. Paul at 7:30am this morning and last night figured that I would get up in enough time to walk. This morning a few more minutes of sleep seemed much more important .... and I rationalized that I might as well get as much use out of my car as I long as I still own it. (Writing that down now doesn't seem rational at all ..... but it seemed to make sense curled up in my bed with my cats!!) So - getting down there and parked was fine - and about 10 minutes faster. I was a bit jealous of those people I did see walking .... but I was still glad at that moment for the 10 extra minutes of sleep!!

HOWEVER - getting home was a totally different story!!!! I sat in my car (along with all of the other people sitting in their cars, alone) for 45 minutes. Yes - I said 45 minutes. I was literally trapped in the parking garage ..... and I could almost feel the concrete squeezing in on me. And then I almost started laughing .... I was actually PAYING for this experience. How silly is that? I was paying to sit in a dark parking garage by myself for 45 minutes?!!? I could have been outside, enjoying the fresh air, getting some exercise for FREE!!!!! :)

So - lesson learned .... I do have choices - but if I had the choice again, I wouldn't be sitting in my car in a concrete parking garage!!


The other piece of this puzzle is why my bike wasn't even an option. I am trying to work through why I have apprehension about taking my bike. Maybe I am still nevous about how to arrive somewhere looking fresh after biking. Or perhaps it is where will I put my bike - and how will I lock it up in an unfamiliar location. Two things that I still need to work through ....

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on taking the plunge, or really the ascent, to car free-dom. I was just on the Transit for Livable Communities I saw the mention of your blog. It is so great that you are sharing your fresh perspectives as you begin this journey. My wife and I decided to go car free about 7 years ago. Despite some apprehension at first and pressures from friends to share or buy their cheap old cars, we have absolutely loved it. We have added two kids over the last 4 years and are enjoying car freedom with them. I wish I wrote more during our early days of the journey, so I am glad to read about yours. For more about our experiences, check out my blog, Riding Phrius (http://ridingphrius.blogspot.com/).

    Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am following your blog now --- and I am sure that there is much that I can learn from you. I certainly admire that you are doing it with kids .... It is just me .... certainly seems easier that way!! :)

    ReplyDelete